Monday, June 4, 2007

The Challenge - Summarize and Analyze the Cycle of Violence in Gaza - Part 5

Attached below is

1)a post by Dan on Tikkuntalk (a very active yahoo group to which you may want to subscribe by sending a blank message to tikkuntalk-subscribe@yahoogroups.com ) in response to my suggestion of reading Part 2 and 3 of my posts about the Cycle of Violence in Gaza, and

2)my response to Dan posted also on Tikkuntalk


DAN'S POST

Ron – I read both of your blogs and found them well-written and compelling. What they arouse in me are deep feelings of resignation, bordering on despair. As you know, I have been an activist on behalf of a peaceful solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict for more than 20 years.

During the 1980s and 90s, there were a series of crossroads where the American Jewish community had the opportunity to influence Israeli and U.S. policy in the direction of a negotiated settlement agreement. These culminated in the emergence of Yitzak Rabin as the first Israeli Prime Minister who was determined to change the status quo. Sharon and Netanyahu engineered his assassination, and with it the destruction of the peace process.

Since Sharon’s and Bush’s ascendancy, US and Israeli policy has been purely aggressive and violent. We now live in a permanent state of war. The US Jewish community, as represented by the Major American Jewish Organizations, AIPAC, and the rabbinate, have supported these policies of war and aggression with near unanimity.

There is no relief in sight. Our community continues to support the war in Iraq, opposes a meaningful Israeli-Palestinian peace process, backed last summer’s disastrous invasion of Lebanon, and are leading the call to bomb Iran.

It was difficult enough to advocate for healing and reconciliation with peace/war hanging in the balance. Seven years beyond the tipping point, with war blazing from Gaza to Iraq, and the guns trained on Teheran, I find no energy for this lost cause. Instead, I have redirected my energies towards areas where there is at least a patch of fertile ground.

Dan

MY RESPONSE TO DAN

Hi Dan

I want to first thank you for taking the time to post your thoughtful response. I also want to comment, especially on this, “It was difficult enough to advocate for healing and reconciliation with peace/war hanging in the balance. Seven years beyond the tipping point, with war blazing from Gaza to Iraq, and the guns trained on Teheran, I find no energy for this lost cause. Instead, I have redirected my energies towards areas where there is at least a patch of fertile ground.”

Having been an observer of the tragedy of the West Bank and Gaza for about 33 years, I believe that the only “rational” course to take is yours. You are certainly not the only person I have had contact with in the last few years who has decided to devote his or her energy to hopefully more productive efforts. What can anyone do that would make a difference? What can anyone do that might result in a just peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians?

I know that over the years, I have made the same decision you have made about involvement in a variety of organizations from law associations to community groups to Jewish organizations. My reasoning was, I think, that, on balance, the goals of the organization were not worth the effort it was taking to reach them. For me personally, participating in an effort to try to end the occupation and bring about an end to the conflict is so important that it has clearly overpowered my ability to think through the many reasons why this effort is likely to succeed. This may be an explanation for some of the many who I hope will be in DC this weekend for the mobilization and for those who will participate around the country over the next few days in events protesting the 40th year of the occupation.

I also have another reaction to your quote, Dan, something that distinguishes two approaches to the conflict. I am aware of the highly regarded work that you are doing working on healing and reconciliation. What you may have noticed in my writings lately is not an effort to heal or to reconcile. While in my legal practice, I gave up representing clients individually in favor of doing divorce mediation (and ended that in favor of providing career advice to dissatisfied lawyers), in the case of this conflict, I have reverted to my legal training; in my opinion, the actions of the government of Israel are illegal according to international law and immoral according to the teachings of Judaism. My focus is not on bringing the parties together to talk about where we go from here but on pointing out the wrongdoing and trying to stop it; for example, one should not have to negotiate over a person or a state violating human rights. The wrongdoer should simply cease such action.

What I would like to see is a recognition by individuals, governments and the media that what the government of Israel is doing is wrong (don’t you get upset when the news reports continue to report that Israel missiles struck and killed Palestinians “in response to” a Hamas rocket fired into Sderot?) and intense pressure brought on the government of Israel to pursue justice.

I hope, and believe, you will find satisfaction in your new direction.

Ron

No comments: